CTE Field trip to UHart

This Spring, 24 students who are a part of the Watertown CTE classes took a trip to the University of Hartford to participate in their Media Day. This day consisted of amazing opportunities for all of the students to learn about careers in news, sports, TV and film production along with how to prepare for those jobs. This was a great way for students to learn about different possible career paths in media and communications. 

Students participated in workshops with current students of UHart, learning how to create and record a podcast in the UHart podcasting studio, producing a segment of a news show in their TV studio, learning about lighting for film and TV production, and participating in classes that were used for brainstorming segments and slogans. As part of the FOX6 workshop, they learned about the Student News Contest where students can enter a contest to win cash prizes and a $5,000 scholarship to UHart. Students also attended a PSA workshop which engaged them to creat a slogan to prevent distracted driving. The day ended by WHS students meeting with industry leaders to hear about journalism and sports media and how these programs may help them launch their future. 

This day was very beneficial to all students who went. Many of the students said their favorite part was filming a podcast and a segment for the UHart News. Many said they learned something new about themselves and it sparked a new interest for them. Watertown Highschool CTE is very thankful for the opportunity to participate in UHart’s Media Day.