Personal Finance Students take a trip to JTPS

Personal finance students took a trip to John Trumbull Primary School on May 10th, 2023, to teach 2nd graders the importance of saving, spending, and sharing their money. Just like reading and writing, the knowledge of how money works is a skill that should be learned in their early years. Personal finance students started with a quick introduction, and then read the Berenstain Bears book – “Trouble With Money.” The reading of this book allowed for the kids to understand money in a more relatable, easy to comprehend way. The kids were asked what the bears were trying to accomplish, how this book relates to the topic of money, and even what businesses they would like to start. 

The Building Dreams section of the lesson asked the kids what they would spend their money on if they were given $100. The kids came up with responses such as puppies and toys. The finance students asked what the kids’ goals were, with many of them replying with their future career, cars, and even more toys. The kids wrote their answers on a “dream bubbles sheet.” They learned that many of the goals they wrote on their paper would require earning money. So, the personal finance students taught them ways they could earn money, such as working, creating a business, and more. 

The kids completed crossword puzzles, matching games, creating lists, and more to become interactive with the way they learn about money. One of the highlighted activities was that kids had to write in order of most important to least important what they should spend their money on. This allowed them to think about prioritization, and spending money responsibly on the right things. They also included how much those items would cost, although being ironically inaccurate, they understood that some things cost more than others. 

A share, save, spend, box was given to each of the kids to take home. This way, they could distribute their earnings, instead of spending it all, like they learned. Each personal finance student explained each aspect of the box. Why sharing money was important, why saving it is important, and why spending money in moderation was good. 

The personal finance students did an excellent job at teaching the young entrepreneurs of the future ways to be smart with money, while still making it fun, and not too complex. This is a tradition the Personal Finance teacher hopes to continue in the future.