The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Getting Involved around School

The start of the school year means that clubs are starting back up at WHS. Clubs are beneficial to our school community as they can aid students in finding new interests, building a resume, or getting experience working with other people. A majority of clubs at WHS are free for students to join at any point in the year, except a select few, which are by application only. 

Some clubs are more revolved around the community and the town, while other clubs are more dedicated toward interests and hobbies. Mrs. McBride, one of the advisors for Best Buddies, shares how “Best Buddies is a club that provides the opportunity for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to develop genuine friendships with their nondisabled peers.” This gives a chance for students who have disabilities to make friends and feel more included within our school community. Maahi Patel, the president of Book Club, shares how Book Club is a place for bookworms to bond over emotions and thoughts on classic reads. “There’s no requirement to finish reading the book, it’s just a fun little way to bring together the book nerds and talk about absolutely anything at all revolving around the bookish world.” Robotics Club teaches students how to design, build, power, and program their own robots to compete against teams from around the world. They are. looking for students who are interested in engineering, designing, programming, driving or building robots, etc.  

Other clubs at WHS include, but are not limited to: Interact, DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America), Leo Club, Model UN, Robotics, S.A.G.A, and Unified Sports. There is a list of every club, along with its club advisor and a blurb about it on our website (whswarriorswire.com). If a student is interested in the Honor Societies or Link Crew, they can ask their counselors or a teacher for more information.

If a student has an idea for a club that isn’t already offered, they can make their own. To start a club, a student will need to find an advisor, who can be any faculty member willing to supervise and draft a plan with them. They will then need to ask permission from the administration to publicize their club, and then begin to advertise it.