The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Overview of States: Girls Swim and Dive

The Girls 2023 Swim and Dive team made it to NVLS and the 1st and 2nd round of states.

Senior swimmer Talia Solla shared how well states went, exciting new personal records , personal and team achievements and a few things the team could have improved on. Talia is a young strong confident swimmer and she was very proud of herself and her team. She shared with me, “everyone hit a personal record, Regan got a 15 sec pr, I got a 2 sec pr and Lucy got a 4 sec pr.” Overall in states the team did very well and there was lots of support and encouragement. Although there were many great achievements, she wished the team was more confident in themselves, “we did not perform as good as we could have in the 400 free, we needed to be more confident in ourselves,” said Talia . 

One of the team’s very strong swimmers, Sophia Grohs was unable to attend to states due to sickness and this made a hole in the team. “It was harder without Sophia but we adjusted.” said Talia. Maggie Hines filled the hole and swam for Sophia. After the 1st round of states 6 swimmers qualified for the second round of states. Which include, seniors Lucy Kite and Talia Solla, juniors, Maggie Hines, Ava Kyle and Maura Mcdonald and Sophomore Emma Omire. 

Talia also shared that she wished she started swimming earlier because of how well she has performed; “I regret not joining swim earlier, I won 2nd in heat for breaststroke and qualified for states my first year” said Talia. Overall the Watertown Girls Swim Team had an outstanding season and hopes for the same support and good vibes next year.