The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

End of Season Football

The WHS Varsity football team had a great season. Even through their tough losses against Naugatuck, Ansonia, Seymour, Holy Cross and Woodland they pulled through with 5 wins. This ended up putting them in the playoffs. Watertown ended up winning their first two playoff games and sadly lost in the State Finals to Joel Barlow 20-21 on December 9th. The teams that the Watertown Warriors lost to were also very good teams. 

On October 20th, Gianni Perugini and Paul Catuccio cut the ribbon for Watertown High School’s brand new football field. After the field was done, on November 3rd, Watertown played their Senior Night rival game against Holy Cross.  It was a tight game, both teams were going back and forth the whole game but Holy Cross ended up pulling through with the 28-27 victory over Watertown.

Varsity Receiver, Jack Mccloskey, commented on the new field,” I like the field because it’s a really sick design but also really soft. I feel like I can run and jump higher and feel like more of an athlete.” The new field was supposed to be  done and made before the season started for fall sports but it ended up being delayed. This year many fall sports were not able to play a lot of home games at their home turf, so a lot of the seniors were not able to play many home games on the new turf. 

In one of the most notable games of the season, the Warriors ended up taking down the Wolcott Wildcats 35-0 in a rivalry game, Eagles down. Varsity Receiver, Adam Hassinger, commented after the game and said,”Honestly I thought they were gonna put up a better fight. We should have won by a lot more and I hope they enjoyed their Senior Night!” There is definitely a lot of tension between these two schools. Junior, lineman, Jeremy Charbonneau also said,”It was a turning point in the season for us, starting our 4 game winning streak going into the playoffs.”