The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Big Thanks to First Responders During the Holiday Season

As a Senior at WHS preparing to graduate, I created a Capstone Project that honored my late father, who was an EMT. A Capstone Project is a community outreach project each senior is to complete in order to graduate. I decided to take that definition a step further by hosting a cookie drive for first responders local to the Greater Watertown area. In the weeks of planning I reached out to the community via a public facebook post, and posters around town to ask for donations of either cookies to add to the trays, or money for baking supplies. I had many donations of both and was able to create and decorate 21 trays of cookies, that included 6-7 different types of cookies, and a handwritten thank you note. With the help of my Capstone Advisor, Mr. Genua, I also mapped out all the locations I’d be dropping trays off to on Christmas Eve night. 

I delivered cookies to first responders at Watertown PD; Naugatuck PD, Fire and Ambulance; Waterbury PD, Fire, AMR, and Hospital; as well as St. Mary’s Hospital. The experience was amazing and I was lucky enough to even meet some first responders who worked with my father. I am very happy to have been able to do this as my Capstone, and I am very appreciative to all first responders everyday, and during the holiday season!