National Art Honors Society

Art Teachers Ms. Uryase, Ms. Schlatter, and Ms. Rahal brought the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) to our school for the first time, holding an induction ceremony on November 9th, in the auditorium. NAHS has been a nation-wide program since 1978, but is new to the school this year. The purpose of this program is to bring art to the school and community around us, and the group meets twice a month. 

Almost 30 students were inducted into the NAHS from grades 10-12. To qualify, the students need to have taken at least two high school art classes with an average grade of a 90, an 85 GPA overall, and an art teacher recommendation. One of the activities the NAHS will be working on is painting Alice in Wonderland scenes on the window in the front of the school to promote the school’s 2022 winter play. Another activity students will be doing is participating in “Empty Bowls,” a fundraiser where they make pottery bowls to sell and give the money they make to food shelters. 

Ms. Uryase, District Coordinator for the Art Department, mentioned that NAHS members use the pledge:  “I will in my life, to the best of my ability through my talents in art, help to create a more beautiful world for myself, for human kind, and for all living things” to guide projects in school and community.