The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Crisis in Yemen

One hot morning of August, a bomb was dropped onto a Yemeni school bus in Dahyan. The Saudi bomb killed 44 children and 10 adults. Sadly, over the past 9 years, similar situations like this have recurred in Yemen. 

Ever since 2014, Yemen has had many fatal cases due to the attacks from Saudi Arabia. The war started when Houthi, a political and government organization, took over the capital city, Sanaa. This organization was a popular revolution against Yemeni President, Abdrabbuh Mansur Hedi, led by Houthi and their supporters that pushed the Yemeni government from power. 

Violent and fatal situations have left people of Yemen with very little. Two thirds of the population are in dire need of humanitarian assistance and protection services. Children are starving and lacking in their educational levels. Yemenis are in need of urgent healthcare to fulfill the major injuries inflicted from the war. Around 540,000 people suffer from severe acute malnutrition. Years of protracted conflict have pushed the country to the brink of an economic collapse. 

Now the International Rescue Committee provides lifesaving emergency aid, clean water, education, women protection and medical care for the Yemeni people. A full solution has not been planned but for the future little resolutions are being developed.