The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Music Department’s Winter Concert

On December 6th, Watertown High School’s Music Department had their Annual Winter Concert. Participating in the concert was Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble. Concert Choir, the CP choir class, sang four songs alongside Ms. Kristen Lauria,  band teacher at Swift Middle School, playing the clarinet. Mars Englehart Clow, a junior at WHS, sang a solo during the performance. Chamber Choir, the Honors choir class, sang four songs with Aspen Hogrefe, Caleb McGaffey-Schipul, and Mark Albino singing a solo. Mrs. Poliquin, the director for both choir groups, says she is proud of the final song both classes sang together, The Little Drummer Boy, because they worked together and sounded powerful. She is excited to start choosing new challenging music for the next concert in spring. 

On the instrumental side of the concert, the String Ensemble, directed by Mrs. Moaddel, played two songs. Concert Band (CP Credit) and Wind Ensemble (Honors Credit) played two songs combined with each other. Mr. Dalton, the new band director, said, “It’s a profound honor to have been welcomed into this exceptional group, aiding in the orchestration of our concert and the sense of humble pride stems from the unity that allowed us to create something truly extraordinary together.” Mr. Dalton has been involved with music all his life and worked in studio and live events.

The Northern Region Music Festival is an opportunity for young musicians to share talent from all high schools and middle schools in the area. On November 11th, students from WHS auditioned to participate in the festival. Ten were accepted. Nine students from choir, grades 9-12, and one student from orchestra, grade 10, playing the violin. The festival is on January 12 – 13, 2024 (snow date, January 19 – 20, 2024) at New Britain High School. If one made it through the regional audition, one qualified for the All State Festival. Congratulations to all ten students who have made it to regionals!