The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Spring instrumental Concert

On Thursday, May 2nd, Watertown High School’s Music Department had their annual Spring Instrumental Concert in the auditorium. The Strings Orchestra performed 3 different pieces, including a piece the Band Director, Mr. Valenti, arranged. The 4 students in the ensemble had a different part in each song that made the whole show complete. Valenti says, “The strings are very independent and have a different place in the process and different instrumentation. They stepped up to get the music they wanted which was a little more difficult than what level they are on now.” 

The combined band played 6 pieces of music. This April was the anniversary for famous jazz composer and conductor Henry Mancini’s 100th birthday and the band played famous music composed by him such as “The Pink Panther” and “Peter Gunn.” The Concert Band and Wind Ensemble have separate classes to practice the music. For the concert, they came together to practice the pieces and used their time together efficiently and effectively. 

Mr. Valenti, who is new to WHS this year, has been certified for teaching for 11 years but has been teaching and leading students in performing music since he was in high school. Before joining us this spring, he was a long term substitute at Cheshire High School. Out of school, he plays the trumpet for  musicals and other gigs around CT. Visit the WHS Choir Concert in the auditorium on June 4th!