The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Veterans Day

108th Training Command- Initial
A U.S. Army Reserve soldier reads some of the 58,307 names etched into “The Wall” of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. as the sun rises July 22, 2015. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ken Scar)

Veterans Day is a memorable holiday that celebrates all veterans that have served for our country. On June 28th, 1919, the Treaty of Versailles was signed. This officially ended World War 1. While this document ended the war, the final end of fighting between the Allied forces and Germany is what truly led to the end of the war. The Great War was supposed to be the war to end all wars, but this, as we know, did not really happen. “A celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good”, is how the US department of Veteran Affairs would define Veterans Day. Veterans Day is an important holiday to honor the veterans that sacrifice everything for our country, and this is how the high school honored them. 

To honor the Veterans, Interact Club created a Field of Flags on the Watertown Green. This Field of Flags empowers towns and communities to honor local veterans and is a way to support services for our ill and injured heroes. Members of the club went around the school and collected donations from students, teachers, and administrators to be able to place more flags. The club worked with the nonpartisan charity and the voice of America’s disabled veterans, DAV, and raised critical funds to help support. DAV provides life changing services for Veterans in need and their families. Each flag that was placed on the green is a donation to represent one veteran and the unwavering commitment to serving all who have sacrificed for our country. This is an amazing thing the Interact club did for Veterans day! The town is hosting 2 honorary events for Veterans Day at 11am on the Watertown and Oakville green as well.