The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Volleyball Tournament

Volleyball+Tournament

The World Language Honors Society (WLHS) and Student Council are hosting a volleyball tournament fundraiser for the Hispanic Coalition of Greater Waterbury on Wednesday, March 20th, after school from 2:10 pm to 4:30pm. The Hispanic Coalition of Greater Waterbury is an organization that raises money to provide bilingual services, advocacy, educational programs, and much more for the Latino community of Waterbury, CT. By hosting this tournament, the WLHS and Student Council will be able to raise money for the organization.
    The event will be organized in a tournament style bracket and will be arranged in advance. The teams will play each other consecutively until there is one winner. Members of both clubs are involved in the planning process of the tournament, and many members of each club will be working the day of the tournament, whether that be signing the teams in, refereeing the games, or announcing the winners. There will be a variety of prizes as well for the winner of the tournament! To advertise, announcements during school have been made each day leading up to the event. There are also posters in the hallways and students of each club have publicized the event during various enrichments and lunches. To sign up for the tournament, any student can use the QR codes posted in the hallways on the posters. Using the QR codes to sign up will cost $5 for students, and if a student signs up on the day of the tournament, it will cost $6. Students can either sign up with a team or can choose to sign up solo and will be arranged with a team the day of the tournament. Staff members are also encouraged to sign up for the tournament as well! This creates an exciting environment for the students as it creates a friendly competition for the students, and gives the guests a chance to root for their teachers! There is no cost for guests to attend, and both clubs encourage anyone and everyone to come watch the tournament and support their peers and teachers.
    Abby Metcalfe, an honorary member of the World Language Honors Society, “hopes to have another great turnout” for the tournament this year and hopes there are “similar numbers” to last year’s tournament, which was a great turnout. She has good faith that “many more will participate and come support their friends” in the event this year. Both the WLHS and Student Council would like to continue the tradition of this tournament in the future as it is a great way to raise money and have fun with friends in a friendly competition.