The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

AP Lit Goes to NYC!

On Friday, April 26th, all three AP Lit classes went to NYC! They visited the main branch of the New York Public Library, the JP Morgan Museum, and saw the Tony Award nominated show, Mary Jane, on Broadway. Mary Jane is about a young, single mother who struggles to take care of her extremely ill toddler, and all the hardships that come with taking care of him. 

AP Lit teacher, Mr. Kuegler always says, “plays are not meant to be read, but to be seen.” He chose Mary Jane as the play to see this year as he always tries to choose a classic, non-musical play, and Mary Jane was fresh on Broadway while also covering a topic that isn’t talked about enough. He decided to add the Library and Museum around eight years ago to the annual AP lit trip because, “if [they] are going all the way out to NYC, [they] might as well make a day out of it” and do more than just a play. Students saw multiple historical artifacts up close, such as George Washington’s farewell address and the iconic painting of Ben Franklin.

Students had mixed feelings about the play as some liked the theater experience with friends, whereas other students did not like how brutally emotional the play was. AP Lit students Harrison Gowell and Andrew Brown both enjoyed being able to educate themselves among their peers, and “being within a community of young educated people” within New York.

Everyone on the trip wants to wish a special thank you to Mr. Burgos for stepping in at the last minute for Mrs. Kuegler as a chaperone!