The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Freshman Student of The Month

Freshman Joey Collins shared his thoughts on receiving Freshman Student of the Month for October, gave his advice for future freshmen who aspire to gain this award and talked about his role models who inspired him to do well in school. Joey Collins is a very confident student at Watertown High School. Although he was very shocked that he received this award, he feels amazed and proud of himself. “I was very shocked because there are so many freshmen and I was chosen,” said Joey Collins. He is a student who always turns in his assignments on time which is a reason why he believes he was awarded. Not only does he feel very pleased but he stated, “My parents were very proud of me and that makes me feel good.” In 8th grade at Swift Middle School, he explained that he did not have the best grades. Now as a freshman, he has grown into a very good student who is very academically driven. 

Joey looks up to his older brother, Greg Collins stating, “He has shown me how to overcome issues in school.” Joey shares that the switch to high school from middle school was not as challenging and actually easier than he thought. He loves his teachers and states, “They were all very welcoming, specifically Mrs.Mckay.” He loves Watertown and the atmosphere the school creates. Joey wants to go to veterinary school in the future and is looking for a program in the school that offers attention in that field of work.

In the last segment of the interview, Joey shared a quote he lives by and any freshman who wants to receive this award should follow this; “Keep trying till you have nothing left.”He explains how this thought has pushed him through many obstacles where he had almost given up, but he progressed and is now the best version of himself.