The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Gun Violence

Gun+Violence

Over 40,000 Americans had lost their lives as a result of gun violence as of December 2023. According to the Gun Violence Archive, as of December 7, at least 40,167 Americans had lost their lives as a result of gun violence in the country, or nearly 118 individuals every day: 276 children and 1,306 teenagers. The great majority of gun violence fatalities this year have been suicides. 22,506 gun-related suicide deaths have occurred this year, translating to an average of around 66 suicide deaths every day in 2023. Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Illinois, and Louisiana have seen the most significant percentage of these deaths. There were 1,344 fatal shootings involving police officers included in the total of gun violence deaths. This year, 46 police officers have died after being shot while performing their duties. The Gun Violence Archive also reveals 1,472 “unintentional” shootings. As of right now, in 2023, there have been over 632 mass shootings, which the Gun Violence Archive defines as any event in which four or more people are shot or killed. There have been 2,380 injuries and 597 fatalities from these mass shootings. The bloodiest shooting of the year and among the deadliest in recent memory occurred on October 25, at a mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine. Governor Janet Mills of Maine reported that at least eighteen people died, and thirteen more were injured.

Since 2014, the number of gun-related deaths in the United States has exceeded 39,000 annually, as per data from Gun Violence Archive. Even so, fewer people have died from gun violence in 2018 than in 2016, 2017, or even 2018, when the annual death toll exceeded 50,000. In 2022, there were 44,310 of these deaths. A gun safety measure enacted by Congress was signed into law by President Joe Biden in June of last year. It was Congress’s first gun reform bill in many years. Nevertheless, proponents of gun control are still pressing for stricter laws.