The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Biden Says He Has Decided how to respond to Drone Attacks in Jordan

President Joe Biden says he has decided on how the United States is going to respond to the recent drone attacks that killed 3 U.S. Service members in Jordan.This attack was the first time that American troops have been killed by enemy fire in the Middle East since the beginning of the Gaza War in 2023. Biden 

The killed service members were identified as Sgt. William Rivers,46,of Carrollton, Georgia; Sgt. Kennedy Sanders, 24 of Waycross, Georgia;and Sgt. Breonna Moffett, 23,of Savannah,Georgia. President Biden warned in a statement shortly after the attack the U.S. will respond in a “ Time and manner of our choosing,” as he weighed more on how to deter future attacks without escalating the conflict.

Biden also said that he holds Iran responsible for the attack, which CNN has reported was carried out by Iranian proxy forces. When the President was asked by reporters if he had decided how to respond to the attack, Biden simply said: “ Yes,”but he declined to provide further details. The President was also asked if Iran should be blamed. ” I do hold them responsible in the sense that they’re supplying the weapons to the people who did it,” Biden said.

The United States has three options as to how they are going to respond to the attacks.Those options are they could either Strike Iran-allied bases and commanders,Strike Iran, or to not respond at all.Striking Iran allied bases would be the most obvious choice and is one that has been used in the past. Launching a strike against Iran would be a massive escalation and not something that the US would consider lightly. Not responding would be irresponsible for Washington to hit Iranian interests now given the current tensions in the Middle East.

Whether or not the US decides to respond. Biden has already said that he is not looking to make the war in the Middle East worse than it already is.”I don’t think we need a wider war in the Middle East. That’s not what I’m looking for.”