Watertown Football Recap

Watertown High School’s football record this year is 1-5, but despite the losses, they are very proud of themselves and express how they are determined to practice harder for their remaining games. The football team works very hard during practices, hitting every Monday, conditioning very often to stay in shape, and running their opponent’s playbook so they know what to expect when they play them. 

Junior, Genuine Hurdle, remarks the boys have a great relationship with each other saying, “We are like a family.” They have a strong bond and always have their teammate’s backs. The football captains, Gio Hurdle, Toby Koval, and Dylan Payne, are like the team’s big brothers. They guide them through games and push everyone to do their hardest at practices. One big highlight of the football season is the team stopping St. Paul in its tracks. They won 28-0. 

The football coaches are also very proud of the team and are getting the boys as much film as they possibly can, so they can scout out opponents thoroughly. Coaches also make the boys work hard, and utilize the weight room so the team can get stronger and improve. Hard work like this gives the boys motivation to play the game to their best ability in the NVL. A challenging moment the team faced this season was against Crosby High School where the score for the first half was 36-12. After the boys had a team talk and got their head in the game, they scored 22 points in the third quarter alone and the game became a close one. Even though they still lost, the game made them realize that the football team can compete with any team in the NVL. All they have to do is want it and play without discouragement. Off the field, an accomplishment they are proud of is selling football cards all around town to raise money for their team’s equipment so seniors could keep their jerseys

Watertown’s Football team has proved their pride and determination on and off the field by practicing harder every day for their next games without being affected by their 1-5 record caused by self-doubt, not athletic performance, according to Genuine. All of the boys on the team deserve recognition for their labor throughout the season, but the team would like to acknowledge these MVPs for their consistent outstanding performances on the field; Tobias Koval (senior), Giovanni Hurdle (senior), Ty Housen (junior), Adam Hassinger (sophomore), Brady Gambee (sophomore).