The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Thanksgiving is a Chance to Grow Community

Halloween has already eclipsed, many people already want to jump to Christmas time and with Christmas looming ahead Thanksgiving is often an afterthought; but There are plenty of things to enjoy during the Thanksgiving season. There are lots of ways to embody the spirit of the holiday, like supporting your community. 

Aside from the big sports, like the NBA and the NFL hosting their annual games, Watertown fall sports will be wrapping up their seasons this November, if not competing for playoff berths. The biggest game of November is undoubtedly the annual matchup between Watertown and Torrington football at 10:15 Thanksgiving morning. This year’s installment will be hosted away at Torrington High School; the winner keeping “The Helmet.” “The Helmet” is the trophy presented and kept by the winner, with  the score inscribed on the side for future teams to ogle at.  If you’re looking to support your school, show up to the greatest atmosphere that fall sports have to offer. Asides from Football, Boys and Girls soccer, Volleyball, Swim & Dive and Cross country will host their respective playoffs. 

Not many businesses are open on Thanksgiving, which means there’s not much to do on Thanksgiving itself. However, if you want to embody the spirit of the holiday, support your local small businesses, especially on Black Friday and the following Small Business Saturday. Supporting small businesses aligns with the core of Thanksgiving by emphasizing the importance of community and togetherness. With Black Friday coming up, local owners could use their communities’ support. Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the things we’re grateful for and for supporting small businesses allows us to express our gratitude for the entrepreneurs who pour their heart and soul into their work. By choosing to spend our money at these establishments, we show our appreciation for their dedication and the uniqueness they bring to our communities.

As the holiday season gains momentum, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of Christmas preparations. However, let’s not overlook the beauty and significance of Thanksgiving. November offers a wide range of reasons to relish this season, from the culmination of fall sports to supporting your community.