The Student News Site of Watertown High School

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

The Warrior's Wire

Holidays in New York City

‘Tis the season to visit New York City.  NYC is full of festive adventures for you and your family to visit.  Enjoy the Rockefeller Christmas tree, Winter Village at Bryant Park, production of Rockettes, Bronx Zoo holiday lights, Hudson Yards, window fronts, and holiday-themed restaurants.

The most popular attraction is the Rockefeller Center. The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is located in the middle of Manhattan. The tree is put in place in mid-November and lit in a public ceremony on the Wednesday evening following Thanksgiving. The tree will be lit daily from 5 a.m. to midnight until January 13, 2024. On Christmas Day, the tree is lit for 24 hours, and on New Year’s Eve, it is lit from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Another place to take your family is Winter Village at Bryant Park. There are many attractions to visit but the most intriguing is the ice rink. The rink sets the perfect scene for every occasion from ice skating lessons and special events to the Après Skate Chalets presented by Balsam Hill. Regular ice skating admission tickets range from $10 – $35, skate rental – $10, skate aid rental – $25, locker rental – $7. The rink opened in mid-November and closed in mid-March.

New York isn’t only walking around and doing activities, there are also many plays and movies shown. The Rockettes are a prestigious dance company. Watch these dancers perform in Radio City Music Hall in Rockefeller Center. Tickets ranging from $46 to a staggering $629. The Rockettes will perform from November 17, 2023–January 1, 2024.

If animals and festive lights interest you, the Bronx Zoo Holiday Lights is a place to visit. There are more than 1 Million lights all over the zoo, and many of the exhibits are open so you can also enjoy seeing some of the animals. The lights will be up from November 17, 2023 — January 7, 2024.  Any night tickets are, Adult $56.95; Child (3-12) $41.94; Senior $51.95.

Hudson Yards is New York’s newest neighborhood and home to more than 100 diverse shops and culinary experiences. A main attraction, the Vessel, is currently closed to walk through but you can still view this magnificent building from the outside.

Sightseeing is a main attraction in New York. During the holiday season, the window fronts have spectacular scenes. The four main areas to go see are Bloomingdale’s, Saks, Macy’s, and Bergdorf Goodman. Most windows will be up until January 1, 2024.

At the end of the day, there is a need for a nice dinner. These holiday-decorated restaurants are a must-stop. The most visited restaurant is Rolf’s German Restaurant. As you walk in there are 15,000 holiday ornaments and 100,000 lights hung inside the space. The top other community favs are, Tavern on the Green, Ophelia Lounge, Point Seven, and Delmonicos. If your family wants to experience more holiday fun, go visit New York. Make sure to visit before it gets packed in the summer!